Who is overrated?
I've already made my feelings on tOSU known, and mGoBlog stole my arguments against Georgia and Auburn, but what about Rocky Top (#17 Blogpoll, NR on our ballot)? The fact remains:
- Erik Ainge has nobody to throw the ball to (and is still Erik Ainge, quarterback of the "Jesus, he's still eligible?" All Stars)
- The offensive line looks pretty good, but there isn't a running back on UT that can run 5 yards without pulling a hamstring
- Phil Fullmer is still a bumbling moron come game time (he was also lampooned as a yokel in Michael Lewis' "The Blind Side," but the characterization seemed all too believable)
- The defensive line sucks balls
- Two new corners to get torched by South Carolina
- Nobody else can stay healthy
- Oh yeah, they start 1-2 (@ Cal, @ Florida)
Who is underrated?
OK, so I know I just listed three SEC teams as overrated, but to show I'm not an unreasonable man, my two most underrated are also from the SEC. Again, my top choice - Arkansas (#20 in Blogpoll, #7 on our ballot) - has been explained by Brian. Read and agree.
My other most underrated team is South Carolina (#22 in Blogpoll, #16 on our ballot). You've got Click Clack, a senior quarterback in his third year with Spurrier, Click Clack, the majority of the starters on both sides of the ball returning (7 on offense, 6 on defense), Click Clack, Click Clack, Click Clack. Maybe I'm overstating his importance, but I have faith in Spurrier, now that he has his guys, to lay the lumber to the dregs of SEC coaching (I'm looking at you, Phil). The Gamecocks have a brutal road schedule (@ UGa, Rocky Top, Arkansas, and LSU), and they will certainly drop a few of those, but I have them at 9-3 (6-3) and my prohibitive favorite in a lackluster SEC East.